RANTINGS AND RAVINGS OF AN OLD MAN TRULY RUINED BY SPORT

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Fly Fishig: Times Past and Far Away Places

Early on I discovered the Hornberg...Wet or dry didn't seem to matter so long as I pitched 'em on the straight and narrow...
...but that was later. In the beginning we drowned garden hackle but the bait of choice, seined minnows--run stripers in case you are interested--really got it done. We fished almost exclusively for half-starved brook trout since Pap ran the show and as far as I know never in all his life fished anywhere near where the stock trucks dumped "those friggin' fakes the bastards try to pawn off as trout." Pap was, you might say, somewhat opinionated when it came to fish and fishing methods. Later after I had decided to dedicate my life to becoming an "expert" fly chucker, Pap snorted at the idea. Said to the old man, "Charlie there's somethin' wrong with the boy, I mean, gezzus mighty, fishin' a sissy stick!!!

But as I say flies came later; half-starved brookies were flat out suckers for a strung up "minnie" as we called 'em.  And while it took a few seasons to get the hang of it by the time I graduated high school, not to brag, the hardest part of hauling a limit (8 daily, 6-inch minimum) was keeping the minnies alive in the jar, e.g. for the uninitiated in the audience, "dead minnies work but not for much."  Pap... 


Spinning rods were out there I guess but I didn't own one. Instead made do with telescoping steel poles and later el cheapo bamboo which of course were better though not much. My first bamboo was made somewhere in Asia--probably Japan--back in the day "Made in Japan" was something of a sick joke. The OM won it on a punch board at the Legion and I'm pretty sure the only reason he gave it to me was to try and appease Mom for yet another boys late night out. But that was their business. The important thing was "I" was now proud owner of a "real fly rod" and...Well, as they say, the rest is history; albeit a rather convoluted tale which I will continue to post off and on in the near future as time and duty dictate...over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment