RANTINGS AND RAVINGS OF AN OLD MAN TRULY RUINED BY SPORT

Friday, May 6, 2011

Fly Fishing: Mighty Mo Monster--Poindexter Circus

In late March a guy name of Kevin Cumley nymphed up a giant rainbow in the Missouri River between Hauser and Holter reservoirs...check it out by clicking the link below.
http://www.mtstandard.com/lifestyles/recreation/article_e3d7382c-76c3-11e0-ad5b-001cc4c03286.html

Yesterday after sending off some photos for an upcoming article I decided to take advantage of the warm weather--60+ if you can believe it--and go fishing. Poindexter's been on my list of to dos now for awhile so...

Balmy, cloud cover, no wind to speak of for a change seemed almost too good to be true, perfect me thinks for a heavy olive hatch for which the little spring crick just happens to famous this time a year but...

The bad news, time I get rigged the GD wind is now howling, (found out later gusting to around 40)...yikes! But the good news the olives are indeed hatching, not thick mind you still trout are up grabbing what they can before the howling wind blows the diminutive buggers to oblivion or wherever...The baddest news making anywhere near the sort of accurate pitch necessary flat out the question...drag free?..laughable... 


You might think I'm hooked up here but alas you would be wrong...
...actually the wind hooked my cast about 4 feet off target and into the grass and since by this time I've managed to spook hell of all but one the risers in this pool I'm trying desperately to yank it free and perhaps give it one more shot...did not happen...oh well...

Like I said "desperate" here I've switched to an ugly bug...
Fast forward 50 or so shots and behold wet  "ugly bug"
With the wind if anything blowing harder than when this travesty began, the trout showing only slightly more interest in "wet ugly bug" than the weird acting way off target olives earlier...well hell, says I to Gale...might as
well go to...

....DRINKIN'....
...As Willie says "tis 5 o'clock somewhere" and by God if ain't 5 o'clock here...over and out....

No comments:

Post a Comment